1. The most commonly used letter is E.
2. The least used letter is Q.
3. Skiing is the only word with double i.
4. Dreamt is the only word that ends in 'mt.'
5. There are only 4 words which end in 'dous': hazardous, horrendous, stupendous, and tremendous.
6. 'Bookkeeper' and 'bookkeeping' are the only 2 words with three consecutive double letters.
7. The word 'strengths' is the longest word with just one vowel.
8. The word 'testify' derived from a time when men were required to swear on their testicles. (fr. Latin, 'testis').
9. The longest one-syllable words are 'scraunched' and 'strengthed.' Others say 'screeched' and 'strengths' but they only have 9 letters.
10. All pilots on international flights identify themselves in English regardless of their country of origin.
11. The word 'almost' is the longest with all the letters in alphabetical order.
12. The most commonly used word in conversation is 'I'.
13. Angry and hungry are the only words in English ending in “-gry”.
14. “Madam, I’m Adam” may be the first palindrome with which Adam introduced himself to the new lady he found in the Garden of Eden.
15. There are many sentences which are palindromes:
• Able was I ere I saw Elba.
• A man, a plan, a canal, Panama
• Red rum, Sir, is murder.
• Live not on evil, Madam, live not on evil.
• Was it a rat I saw?
• Rats live on no evil star.
• Gateman sees name tag.
16. Defenselessness and Respectlessness Two fifteen- letter words with only one of the vowels.
17. RHYTHMS is the longest English word without the normal vowels, a, e, i, o, u.
18. Excluding derivatives there are only two words in English that end with -shion. They are CUSHION and FASHION.
19. 12 words can be formed from the word “THEREIN” using consecutive letters: The, he, her, er, here, I, there, ere, rein, re, in, and herein.
20. There is only one common word in English that has 5 vowels in a row – QUEUEING.
21. The longest commonly used word in English with all the letters in the alphabetical order – ALMOST.
22. “One thousand” contains the letter ‘A’. None of the words from one to nine hundred and ninety nine has an A.
23. Two words having all the vowels in the reverse order: SUBCONTINENTAL and UNCOMPLIMENTARY.
24. These are the only six-letter words that begin and end with same vowel and there is no other vowel in between. These are Asthma and Isthmi.
25. The longest English word is a 45-letter word which is the name of a disease: “pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.”
26. A superlatively long word of 27 letters having 13 vowels It alternates consonants and vowels: HONORIFICABILITUDINITATIBUS. Some more examples are Antidisestablishmentarianism and Electrophotomicrographically.
27. Tongue Twisters - there are many but this may be the toughest: The sixth sick Sheikh's sixth sheep’s sick.
28. UNDERGROUND and UNDERFUND are the only words in English that begin and end with the letters “und”.
29. Maine is the only state that has a one-syllable name.
Got something more to add? :D
[Last edited Mar 31, 2012 07:19:57]
Fernando S. Talavera, Jr.
English Teacher (ESL/EFL)